Why Buy Local ?
Choosing fresh and delicious food right here at home helps to create jobs and supports our economic growth in Ontario. Buying locally also builds a strong sense of community by supporting Ontario’s farmers and businesses.
Ontario farmers take pride in being good stewards of the land, helping ensure its preservation for future generations. Buying local also means your food comes from closer to home.
Adding Ontario foods such as fruits and vegetables to your diet can help contribute to a healthier lifestyle. Choose Ontario in-season foods to ensure optimal freshness, nutrition, and taste.
Buying local is easy when you follow these simple steps:
- Look for the Foodland Ontario logo when shopping at your grocery store, farmers’ market, and on-farm market.
- Share your enthusiasm for buying local food. Post your pictures and tell us your local food story on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter.
- Put freshness on your plate with delicious recipes featuring local ingredients.
Here are some additional resources that can help you buy local:
- Ontario has a wide variety of meat, fish, eggs, dairy, maple syrup, honey, and processed food products available throughout the year, but you can use the Foodland Ontario Availability Guide to know what fresh fruits and vegetables are currently in season.
- To help make healthier food choices, consider using the Foodland Ontario Nutrition Guide.
What are some other ways you can support buying local?
- Brighten your home with Ontario fresh flowers and potted plants.
- Ontario wines and craft beers are a delicious compliment to any meal.
- Get a boost from our Loving Local videos.
Borrowed from the Foodland Ontario website. www.foodlandontario.ca